Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Biking with the Hubs

When given the choice of working out alone or working out with my husband, I will always choose him.  Even if it wasn't the workout that I had planned for that day.  He's just fun to be with and hey, a workout is a workout when it comes to spending time with my man.  So yesterday when he told me that he was going to go ride "about 18 miles" and that I was welcome to come with, I of course switched my plans from weights at the gym to cycling with him.  He only recently bought a road bike and I really never thought he would do it, but he did and he's good!  I know the only reason he enjoys the trail we go to is because he feels like he is "in the woods" and he always gets to see deer.  You see my husband is quite the hunter and LOVES being in the woods, seeing deer, talking about hunting, watching hunting shows (oh Lee and Tiffany), you get the idea.

The loop we do is about a 13 mile loop all together, it's an out and back with a few little side roads we shoot down.  We went early to be sure we got at least 18 miles in before dark.  We keep track of how many deer we see on the ride and its funny when we come back through a spot and see some in the same area...they cannot be counted in case they are the same deer...must keep accurate accounting of the animals! Its funny, but it helps pass the time searching for who can spot the most.  We also like to spot the pygmy rattlesnakes along the way.  They seem to be out in full force lately...sunning themselves on the trail.  The last time there were TONS on the trail.  Just a little advice I was given...even if you feel you need to run them over....DON'T! You never know when one of those suckers will fling up and bite you....just saying.  A guy I ride with had one fling up and bite his shoe and then hang on for a little bit...he about soiled his pants trying not to crash and unclip to get the sucker off....just some friendly advice.

Overall last night we saw 60 deer, only 3 pygmy's (which are getting bigger from previous rides...ugh) and a goat.  Yes, I said a goat.  He lives out off one of the side roads and we see fellow cyclists stop to feed him from time to time.  He is quite friendly and if you talk to him as you come up he loves to run out to see you.  The first time my husband saw him he was afraid he was going to come out and ram him.  I guess he was looking for his snack and got a little too close to the hubs.  He is black and orange and only has half a little horn on one side...kinda sad looking but cute nonetheless.  We ended up doing 20.86 miles and rode for an hour and 22 minutes.  Good ride and quality time with the hubs....score! Even better that I burned over 1200 calories!

No comments: